Assignment
Choose two of the sentences listed below to expand by adding logical additional parts of speech (nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositional phrases). Be sure that you have read the "Parts of Speech at Work" that is immediately after "Interjections." Each sentence should be at least twelve to fifteen words.- The children play.
- The woman walks.
- The sharks swim.
- The flowers bloom.
- The wind blows.
- The computer hums.
The luxurious peonies flourish in front of the fountain, stand proudly out against the lower plants around them, and the huge flowers on each of their stems add a touch of expressive grace to this already beautiful garden.
2. The wind blows. ------->
Suddenly, a gust of strong wind came from nowhere, whistled loudly and strangely through the tall trees behind our old house, and scared my doggy and me.
I did this a few days ago, but I didnt submit it because I was not sure if the sentenses were good enough. Today when I reread them, I felt I couldnt make them better, so I pasted them here.
Please dont hesitate to let me know if you have different opinions as I am going to submit it right now ( that means I wont make any changes even if I could make them better).
Thanks in advance.
Dear Xia,
ReplyDeleteJust WOW! Love your elaborated sentences. For me, they are so musical. Really, I read them by my heart not by my tongue. I just want to ask you ... Are you a Native English Speaker? Your choice of words is very careful and suitable.
Hi Azhar.
DeleteAs I said in a post to you that your kind words cheered me up after I ran a red light.
I am not a native English speaker, but I was an English teacher for years before I came to US. I mentioned that I was a teacher in my introduction, but I didnt say an 'English teacher' because I dont think my English is good enough and I feel shamed to say it. I could/can write some pretty good sentences, however, to be honest,I dont think I can write smoothly like you, not at least now. I want to improve my writing,,, so we are here.
Dear Xia,
DeleteI read somewhere if you want to get a command in English, spend some time in a country that speaks English. This will give a chance for authentic input by listening to other people talking in their native tongue, and dealing with them all the time with their language. This helps to learn English so quick. What do you think? Is this right as you live in the US for years now!
Well, I think its true. Living among native speakers, you must think in their language ( not all the time ), act in thier ways, and try to 'do as the Romans do when in Rome'. But that doesnt help you a lot when it comes to writing. ( Many Americans really dont write very well although they can talk,talk,talk.) Again, like I had mentioned before, thats why I am here---to learn to write well enough even though I dont like writing, neither in English or in my native tongue. However,in our daily life, there are many things we dont like to do but have to do. I need to do it. And I have to get it done, with my best and without any excuse.
DeleteBy the way, I like to talk to you, which makes me think. And write.
ReplyDeleteDear Xia,
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed contacting you. Reading your reply, I can say that living some time in an English environment helps me speak well, but not write well. Yes, writing skills need more time to acquire them. We need to learn them systematically and explicitly like what we do now in this course.
Thanks so much for your fruitful discussion!
All the best!
Dear Xia,
ReplyDeleteHere is my peer review writing assignment:
My Two Sentences
I'm looking forward to reading your comments!
All the best!